Breastfeeding: your stories | My Petit Canard

Here is Fee’s breastfeeding story. You can find her over at Not Just Another Mum:

I knew I wanted to breastfeed spud from early on in my pregnancy, I hadn’t done it with madam and had always somewhat regretted it. I was adamant that I would and nothing was going to stop me! Dad was massively supportive of me and to be honest I’m not sure I would have managed to feed spud without his support and encouragement. It was pretty tough going at times.

I had this bizarre notion that it was going to be easy / straight forward, after all breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world so just how hard could it be? How naive I was.

Spud was born at 7.29pm on a Wednesday evening after a very long labour, and within 15 minutes or so was enjoying his first feed. It was fantastic, it was easy, it was everything I’d imagined it would be. I felt an enormous sense of pride that I would still be responsible for providing spud with his nutritional needs now that he was outside his home of the last nine months. The first few days were fine he fed a lot it seemed to going well we were happy and healthy, but that soon changed when along came engorged breasts and excruciating pain.

Fast forward to my six week check up at my GPs – I’d been struggling with feeding, Spud was feeding hourly but only for short lengths of time and I was having issues with latching on. I’d been hoping that my visit to the doctors would provide me with some sort of support, maybe a bit of knowledge to help me overcome these issues. You see I didn’t know anybody who had breastfed and there was no support groups in place in my area at the time so I was completely going it alone (with Dad constantly reassuring me that I was right not to quit and would get it eventually).

Initial checks done – me and spud are fine, he’s not put on quite as much weight as they’d like but was perfectly healthy. As the end of the appointment is approaching, the Doctor asks if I have any concerns/questions so I quickly fire all my feeding worries at him in hope of some answers, only to be told “Well maybe you should just bottle feed him then!” I was beyond shocked and cried nearly the whole way home from the doctors. I felt like a failure.

Determined not to give in so easily I persevered. I was barely sleeping, feeding constantly and feeling like a pretty rubbish mum. Weeks went by and I was regularly visiting my Health Visitor to get spud weighed. He was doing really well, he’d got back on track and was on his centile line (hardly surprising as he ate so often). Then one day I went to the doctors to see the Health Visitor for Spuds weigh in, but we ended up seeing somebody else as ours was off sick, and I’m so glad she was. The new Health Visitor was chatting away to me about Spud, I was exhausted, emotional and suddenly burst into tears. I explained what was going on (as I had done to my own Health Visitor & GP) and she told me to feed him there and then. She told me I was doing it wrong and showed me how to do it. Spud then had his longest ever feed whilst I sat chatting to her (as a queue built up in the waiting room building!).  She was the only person (except Dad) who understood what I had been through. I left the doctors feeling like the world had just been lifted from my shoulders, with a baby who was about to have his longest ever sleep.

The nice new Health Visitor then continued to phone me daily for over a week to see how I was doing and gave me her mobile number to contact her directly if I ever started to struggle again.

Flash forward: Spud is 6 months and still feeding well. Spud is 1 and still feeding well.

Spud is 2 and still feeding before bed.